Thursday, July 17, 2014

Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly Review

Trollbeads recently had their Collector's Dream Sale of 25% off. I couldn't resist and ended up purchasing the Fantasy Butterfly. I actually ended up purchasing more beads after I heard the news about the price hike that is coming in August.


Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly Charm
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly (Front View)

Anyhoo, this lovely charm is a splitter bead to be used in a necklace. Now, I do not own a Trollbeads Fantasy Necklace. However, I do have this lovely teardrop moonstone pendant that works really well with it.

Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly

The butterfly's simple lines really appeal to me. I was also very pleased to see that the detailing of the butterfly eyes were much more pronounced than shown in the stock photo.

Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly Stock Photo Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly Stock Photo Back View
Now at first glance the front and back of the Fantasy Butterfly appear to be identical. If you look closely you'll note that one wing is slightly higher than the other. In the "front" view (I arbitrarily picked a side to be the front side), you'll note that the higher wing is on the left.

If you look at the Butterfly from the side you will see that the taller wing side (Left) has a wider "A" shape than the shorter wing side (Right). This is important to note as you might be able to push a bracelet end in one side but not necessarily be able to get it through the other side.

Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Left and Right Side View Bottom and Top View

Dimensions: 15 mm wide (along necklace)
5mm wide (middle of two wings), 13 mm tall on the "Left/Tall" side
4 mm wide (middle of two wings), 11 mm tall on the "Right/Short" side

You'll note that the bottom ring opening is not perfectly circular. Horizontally on the picture the hole is about 4 mm wide and 5 mm high.

The bottom/depth is 10 mm from front bottom wing to back bottom wing.

The opening at the top measures 4 mm in the middle.

** Measurements are based on my not so scientific ruler and eyeball.


Markings: You can see the Trollbeads metal stamp 925S (Sterling silver) and LAA on the inside bottom of the Butterfly wings.
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly

Now as this charm was designed for a necklace, if you were to use it on a bracelet, I would not recommend sliding it through the center of the wings. This is because the top wings of the butterfly are larger and as such, is top heavy. The charm would flip upside down. Not really an attractive look.

Although, if you have a Trollbeads bangle, then I think you wouldn't have to worry about the Butterfly flipping upside down. I don't own one so I can't confirm for sure. If you do choose to wear it that way, be aware that the bottom of the butterfly will be quite visible to you as it flares out there.

I've also worn it that way on my Novobeads Silk Wrap. As shown below.

Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly, Novobeads Wild Rose Silk Wrap, Novobeads Key Lime Mini CZ, Novobeads Pink Lemonade Mini CZ From left to right: 
Novobeads Key Lime Mini CZ
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Novobeads Pink Lemonade Mini CZ


Worn on Novobeads Wild Rose Silk Wrap



Disclosure: I was not given any gold for writing this post. I did however receive samples of the Novobeads Wild Rose Silk Wrap, Key Lime Mini CZ and Pink Lemonade Mini CZ. Everything else, I either looted off mobs or bought with my own gold.

Another way to wear it would be by sliding it through the thorax of the butterfly making it seem as if the Fantasy Butterfly is flying around the bracelet.
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Front and Side Views

From left to right: 
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide
Trollbeads Unique Translucent Flower
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Trollbeads Unique Translucent Spinner Bead
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide, Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly


I also enjoy wearing the Fantasy Butterfly sort of like a dangle, by hanging it by a single wing.
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Front and Side Views

Trollbeads Purple Wave, Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide, Pandora Morning Butterfly Lavender, Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly From left to right:
Trollbeads Purple Wave
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Pandora Morning Butterfly Lavender
Trollbeads Small and Beautiful Unique
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide
Trollbeads Purple Wave


Pro: Versatile necklace splitter charm that can also be used on a bracelet.

Pro: Fits my Pandora Bangle, so it might fit other competing charm bracelets as well.

Con: Alas, it does not fit my Pandora Single Leather Bracelet.

From left to right: 
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Pandora Morning Butterfly Lavender
Pandora Circle of Love Bangle Clasp


Of course since I don't have clips
on this bangle, the charms will
slide around and not always be in 
this particular configuration.
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly, Pandora Morning Butterfly Lavender, Pandora Circle of Love Bangle

Con: It's a bit on the pricey side, since you could probably purchase 2 glass beads for what you spent, but it is a decent size charm.

Conclusion: This is my first Trollbeads silver and I am glad that I chose it. I'm fond of flowers, fairies and butterflies and I am very sure this charm will get a lot of use. As a matter of fact, I am wearing it right now on my necklace as I type. This is definitely a recommended charm especially since it can be used on the bracelet so prettily too.

One last set of pictures of my Fantasy Butterfly. Just a very simple combo with a single bead, that reminds me of a ladybug even though it really isn't a ladybug bead.

Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly Bracelet

Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly Bracelet From left to right:
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide
Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly
Trollbeads Unique
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide


Trollbeads Fantasy Butterfly Bracelet


No comments:

Post a Comment