Friday, February 13, 2015

Chinese New Year / Valentine's Bracelet

Gong Xi Fa Chai! (Mandarin)
Kung Hei Fatt Choi! (Cantonese)
Keong Hee Huat Chai! (Hokkien)
Happy Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day!


This year Chinese New Year falls on February 19, fairly close to Valentine's Day. As such I thought it would be fun to design a combination that incorporates both elements. I chose to do what I consider CNY colours using my Amber and Mini CZ beads (of course Red works for Valentine's too!), while my Gold pendants and Silver beads represent Valentine's.

Chinese New Year / Valentine's Bracelet
Beads clockwise starting from Novobeads Maple Leaf Clasp
Novobeads Safety Chain
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide
Novobeads Lemon Drop Pebble Amber

Small silver stopper ("homemade")
Ohm Beads Heart Print
Novobeads Grapefruit Mini CZ
Small silver stopper ("homemade")

Gold Heart 'L' Pendant

Small silver stopper ("homemade")
Ohm Beads Flame
Novobeads Sunrise Mini CZ
Trollbeads Hearts (Small)
Small silver stopper ("homemade")

Novobeads Lemon Drop Pebble

Small silver stopper ("homemade")
Novobeads Eternity
Novobeads Sunset Mini CZ
Small silver stopper ("homemade")

Gold '21' Key Pendant
Novobeads Grooved Anchor Slide

Chinese New Year / Valentine's Bracelet

Chinese New Year / Valentine's Bracelet

The Gold '21' key belonged to my mother given by my grandmother when she turned 21.  My mom in turn passed it down to me when I was of age. I actually have another gold '21' key pendant, from my dad, that I wear when I'm wearing this bracelet. Though I'm no longer 21 (much, much older), my parents still very much hold a key to my heart. Someday my little trolling will have those keys passed down to her.

May you have a wonderful Valentine's and a Happy Chinese New Year!

4 comments:

  1. This bracelet is so pretty...elegant yet not too "busy." I definitely have to get some Novobeads CZs. The colors are so rich. I like the way you use stoppers to set the design. Would you please share how one makes a homemade stopper?
    ~Beverly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. My stoppers were made using sterling silver spacers that I had bought from Amazon along with some clear silicone o rings. The sterling silver spacers I bought has a groove where the o rings fit nicely into. Search for "sterling silver spacer" (7mm diameter) and "silicone stopper bead"(6mm x2 mm) on Amazon and you should be able to find it. The measurements are to show which ones I bought. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. I like the colours you've used :) And I love the story of the key!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our family went to a Chinese New Year celebration party today and I wore it. My trollings got to enjoy watching the Lion Dance1

      Delete